The United States is set to prohibit the entry into its territory to 21 citizens of Saudi Arabia in connection with the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
“The Secretary announced that 21 Saudi suspects in the death of Jamal Khashoggi will have their visas revoked or be ineligible for a visa to enter the United States,” a representative said.
US State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert explained that “the Department has broad authority, under Section 221(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, to revoke visas based on information that comes to light at any time indicating that a visa holder may be inadmissible to the United States or otherwise ineligible for a visa. Visa confidentiality, protected by U.S. law, prohibits us from discussing individual visa cases.”
Earlier, the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the United States could impose sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act on those responsible for the murder of Khashoggi. He did not rule out other measures against these individuals.
The slain Saudi journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, known for his criticism of Saudi Arabia’s current policy, left his home country and moved to the United States in 2017. The journalist wrote articles for The Washington Post, analyzing the situation in Saudi Arabia and the country’s foreign policy, and criticizing Riyadh.
The journalist arrived in the consulate general of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul on October 2 to complete paperwork to marry a Turkish citizen and has not been in contact since then. On October 20, Saudi Arabia’s authorities announced that the journalist died after a conflict in the consulate general and did not provide any further details.
Photo Credit: LIB