Cristiano Ronaldo will not face any criminal charges over an alleged rape in the US state of Nevada ten years ago.
The incident was alleged to have taken place in 2009 in a Las Vegas hotel room but Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson decided that Kathryn Mayorga’s claim could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming,” Wolfson said in a statement.
— Clark County DA (@LasVegasDA) July 22, 2019
Police said the initial investigation was closed because Mayorga would not provide enough information regarding the identity of her attacker. She only said her attacker was a European soccer player and did not say where the rape occurred.
The investigation was reopened last year at the request of her lawyers.
Mayorga filed a separate civil lawsuit in a US federal court claiming Ronaldo used “fixers” to stop her pursuing criminal charges, including a payment of $375,000 (€334,000), which Ronaldo’s lawyer has not denied. Her claim came in the wake of the #MeToo movement.
The 34-year-old Ronaldo has always refuted the allegations.