Three people have been killed and 15 injured after a gunman attacked a food festival in California.
The gunman was shot dead by police shortly after he began firing, although police are investigating reports a second suspect may still be at large.
The Gilroy Garlic Festival was about to end for the weekend on Sunday evening when shots were fired at the site.
There was “a white man in his early to mid-30s firing a rifle,” eyewitness Julissa Contreras says.
The suspect entered the festival after cutting through a perimeter fence with a tool, Gilroy Chief of Police Scot Smithee told reporters. He said witnesses reported that a second suspect may have been involved, possibly in a support role.
Officers were already at the site and responded to the shooting in less than a minute, Chief Smithee added.
Video posted on social media showed people running away from the festival, which took place 30 miles (48km) south of San Jose.
“What’s going on?” a woman’s voice asks in one video. “Who’d shoot up a garlic festival?”
“We couldn’t feel worse,” Brian Bowe, the festival’s executive director, said at a news conference on Sunday. “It’s just a horrible thing to experience.”
“This is nothing short of horrific,” tweeted California Governor Gavin Newsom.
US President Donald Trump also tweeted about the shooting, urging people to “be careful and safe”.
Some people are being treated for critical injuries, a spokeswoman for the Santa Clara Valley Public Health System said.
The Santa Clara County Medical Center has so far admitted five victims, CBS reports. Two patients are being treated at a medical centre at Stanford University, according to CNN.