Manchester United have confirmed that interim manager Ralf Rangnick will not be in the dugout for the visit of Arsenal on Thursday, while there are fears he may not even be on the touchline in time for Sunday’s game against Crystal Palace.
Rangnick was unveiled on Monday morning and will take charge of United until the end of the season before heading upstairs at Old Trafford in a consultancy role.
But United have confirmed that work permit issues mean that the 63-year-old may not be able to physically take charge until the end of this week at the earliest, and Michael Carrick will lead the team once again on Thursday.
The former United midfielder had been in caretaker charge following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s dismissal just over a week ago, overseeing an important Champions League win at Villarreal and a hard-earned draw at Chelsea.
After that stalemate at Stamford Bridge, Carrick insisted Rangnick – who had not been officially appointed yet – had no input on team selection or tactics, with fans speculating the incoming German was the reason that Cristiano Ronaldo was dropped.
Carrick also hit back at claims that United’s pressing had been sub-standard – an area the team are expected to thrive in under Rangnick’s rule.
“I think there’s a lot made of that, pressing, to be honest. I get there are times where we haven’t been good this season, but I think over time we’ve pressed ever so well as a team, certainly in recent seasons and at times this season. But when something gets thrown out there, it’s easy for everyone to agree with it and repeat what’s been said,” he said.
“But that’s how it is. I expect criticism to grow when something is suggested. That’s the nature of the business. But we know that’s not true, but we’re also realistic and know it hasn’t been good enough at times, so I’m not defending that at all.”